Meet Our Medical Director
Dr. Leonel Perez is one of the nation’s leading maxillofacial and facial reconstructive surgeons. His patients come from all over the Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia area, and from the entire United States for his expertise. He helps them obtain complete up-to-date information and prioritize aesthetic and functional goals. Dr. Perez takes great care to completely understand his patients’ desires and works with every patient to develop a comprehensive, customized approach. His office is designed to ensure a comfortable, safe, and enjoyable experience for all his patients while providing only the highest level of individualized service. Maintaining a natural and unoperated look is his trademark specialty, and his patients can enjoy not only the aesthetic benefits of a procedure but greater functionality as well.
Dr. Perez first entered the medical aesthetic space performing full facial reconstructions; from there, he began to offer cosmetic BOTOX® treatments but has now incorporated the management of other entities beyond cosmesis, including muscle spasms, excessive sweating, migraines, and more. It was from these experiences that the concept of an aesthetic medical clinic was born. More than just a medispa, Beyond Esthetics allows Dr. Perez to offer not just aesthetic solutions but functional solutions as well. Most notably, Dr. Perez enjoys procedures where the principle of form and function is the aesthetic hallmark of his practice and is proud to offer his Beyond Esthetics patients orthognathic surgery; genioplasty; TMJ surgery, including arthrocentesis, arthroscopy, discopexy, discectomy, and total joint reconstruction; and facial feminization surgery.
Dr. Perez is a native of Texas and received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Texas at San Antonio. He then went on to pursue his degree in doctor of dental surgery from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA) in 2008. Dr. Perez continued his training at UTHSCSA and earned his medical degree in 2011. During this time, he completed his one-year general surgery internship and subsequently completed his oral and maxillofacial surgery training in 2014 under the notable names of Dr. Edward Ellis III and Dr. Daniel Perez.
Dr. Perez is a diplomate and committee examiner for the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and a fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS). His clinical teaching appointments include both national and local positions for the AO Craniomaxillofacial (CMF) North American Branch, faculty member for Medstar Hospital Washington Center in D.C., University of Maryland Capital Region Medical Center, Inova Fair Oaks, and clinical associate professor of surgery for the F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine at Uniformed Services University (USU). Dr. Perez’s other notable accomplishments include being awarded associate master clinician for WRNMMC in 2019 – 2020 for his excellent performance, superior patient satisfaction, high clinical volume, and contributions to training, education, and research.
Dr. Perez’s special interests include orthognathic surgery, TMJ surgery/reconstruction surgery for idiopathic condylar resorption (ICR), rheumatoid or juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA), and reconstruction for facial trauma, as well as dentoalveolar surgery, dental implant, and bone grafting surgeries for cleft lip/palate patients. Dr. Perez is married to Lizette Perez, and they have three healthy, beautiful children – Levi, Landyn, and Layla. In his spare time, Dr. Perez enjoys relaxing with his family, going to the theater, and living an active lifestyle.
1. Owen, M., Gray, B., Hack, N., Perez, Jr., L and Hawkins, J., Does botulinum toxin injection into masticatory muscles result in mandibular, bony changes? A systematic review. Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Postgraduate Dental College.
2. Yim CR, Uhrich RM, Perez L Jr. Treatment of Temporomandibular Joint Heterotopic Ossification: A Novel Protocol With Multimodal Therapy Based on Literature Review and Presentation of a Unique Case Report. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2021 Dec 23:S0278-2391(21)01516-0. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2021.12.012. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35032438.
3. D. Xiao, C. Lian, L. Wang, H. Deng, H. Lin, K. Thung, J. Zhu, P. Yuan, L. Perez, Jaime Gateno, S. Shen, P. Yap, J. Xia, D. Shen., "Estimating Reference Shape Model for Personalized Surgical Reconstruction of Craniomaxillofacial Defects," in IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 362-373, Feb. 2021, doi: 10.1109/TBME.2020.2990586.
4. Bensing JR, McElroy KE, Perez L Jr. Retrieval of Displaced Third Molar Into the Sublingual Space Using 3-Dimensional Navigation Assistance. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2021;79(3):537.e1-537.e7.
5. Xiao, D., Wang, L., Deng, H., Thung, K. H., Zhu, J., Yuan, P., Rodrigues, Y. L., Perez, L., Jr, Crecelius, C. E., Gateno, J., Kuang, T., Shen, S., Kim, D., Alfi, D. M., Yap, P. T., Xia, J. J., & Shen, D. (2019). Estimating Reference Bony Shape Model for Personalized Surgical Reconstruction of Posttraumatic Facial Defects. Medical image computing and computer-assisted intervention: MICCAI... International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention, 11768, 327–335. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-32254-0_37.
6. Cervenka PD, Perez L Jr, Perez DE, Jones B. Melanoma Metastasis to the Mandible-Case Report and Comprehensive Literature Review. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;75(9):2025.e1-2025.e12. doi:10.1016/j.joms.2017.05.029
7. R. Haig, P.J. Tan and L. Perez. Acquired Hemifacial Microsomia: Combined TMJ and Orthognathic Surgery in a Patient with Neurofibromatosis Type 1. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2020-10-01, Volume 78, Issue 10, Pages e79-e80, Copyright © 2020.
8. McQuinn. M and Perez. L. Management of an Unusual Complication Associated with Combined Orthognathic Surgery and Total Temporomandibular Joint Replacement in a Pediatric Patient, OMSNICase (2020).
9. Y.G. Kritzas, R. Uhrich, P. Liacouras and L. Perez. A Novel Surgical Technique for Guided Bone Regeneration: Creation of Custom Bio-Resorbable Polymer using Virtual Surgical Planning and Predictive Bone Augmentation for Dentoalveolar Defects. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2019-09-01, Volume 77, Issue 9, Pages e75-e76, Copyright © 2019.
10. Perez D.E, Perez L. et al. Subjective and Functional Outcomes Following TMJ Reconstruction with Custom-made Total Joint Prostheses. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (2014), Volume 72, Issue 9, e15.
11. Perez, L, Perez, D.E Wang, J., and Gonzalez, J. Compartment Syndrome: Discussion, Case Report and Literature Review of an Ominous Intraoperative Complication. UT Health Science Center - San Antonio.
7617 Little River Turnpike Ste 900
Annandale, VA 22003
Wonderful office and amazing staff very knowledgeable with all the different types of treatments and upgraded technology with all their lasers. I had a great experience with my cosmetic treatment and highly recommend Dr. Leo. Can’t wait to get my next treatment, I love this place!!
I had a real “treat yourself” moment – I didn’t want a facelift, so we’re doing a combination therapy! Laser skin resurfacing, collagen contouring, a little IPL, and a combo of tox and filler. I started back in January and the results are giving me a decade back at least. The staff at Beyond Esthetics were incredibly knowledgeable and helpful during my initial consultation. They took the time to understand my concerns and recommended the perfect treatment for me. I'm so happy with the results!
I've been getting ‘tox injections at Beyond Esthetics for several months now, and I couldn't be happier with the results. The staff is friendly and professional, and the injections are painless. Highly recommend!
This is one of the most professional medical offices I have been in. I came for my consultation and last minute had to bring my baby and they were so understanding, kind, and genuine! Looking forward to my procedure soon! Very happy to have found them and that they are so close to home!